First Country Of Focus

                                 Haiti 

History

Haiti, being the first black republic to gain independence has suffered tremendously politically, socially and economically due to poor governance, international occupation and more. The historical background of Haiti has had its effect on education on a systematic level.  Education in Haiti has deteriorated due to the battle of social class, the poor governance by the National Education of Haiti and Privatize Institution.

The founders of the DeAngels Foundation established this non profit to help children in Léogâne, Haiti.

Educational Battle within Social Classes

Education throughout Haiti is a challenge due to social class, social structure and gender roles. Education is a luxury for children Haiti. Insufficient funding for education drives families to be incapable of allowing their children to get a good education or even to get an education. With changes undergoing daily in Haiti’s society, more than 200,000 children remain out of school. However, enrollment rates have been going up in recent years. Social structure in Haiti uses a class structure that separates individuals according to wealth, income, education level, and type of occupation, political standing and even the color of their skin. Since colonial years, race has still played an important factor in determining social class (mulattoes were better off than those with darker pigment). The wealthiest Haitians tend to be lighter-skinned or white.

National Education of Haiti

The educational department is run by the Ministre de l'éducation Nationale et de la Formation Professionnelle (MENFP). The Ministry gives almost no trusts to bolster government-funded training. Therefore, the private sector has turned into a substitute for administrative interest. The Ministry is constrained in its capacity to enhance education in Haiti. Regardless of the inadequacies of the Haitian education department, some Haitian electives have endeavored to make enhancing the education system a national objective. The government attempted to provide funding for education has increased in the years to decrease violence multiple areas in Haiti.

Education has not only serve to prevent, mitigate, and resolve conflict in Haiti, it has also functioned as the underlying cause of, contributor to, and trigger for violent conflict. The main one being with little financial support:

Many schools are using outdated curricula, while others are implementing the reformed curriculum of the 1997 National Plan of Education and Training (NPET) only partially.

There are high dropout rates and low enrollment rates due to economic hardship, high repetition rates, and linguistic barriers. With the state’s insufficient institutional strength and capacity to provide basic services to the Haitian masses, the education has become increasingly privatized.

Privatized Institutions

According to the 2002-2003-education census conducted by the World Bank, only 8% of Haitian schools were public. This means that the remaining 92% were privately owned and financed, meaning that there were tuition-based and essentially inaccessible to most families. Only 55% of children from the ages of 6 to 12 were enrolled in school, and less that 1/3 of those reached the fifth grade. The quality of education also suffers because of a dearth of materials, proper management, organization, and expertise.

Health Institutions

The problem with healthcare in Haiti is that there is no system, no structure, no plan – at any rate, not one that has been executed. What healthcare facilities exist are completely deficient – inadequate medical staff, supporting staff, equipment and treatment.